6-8 ripe apricots, halved and pitted
2 tsp cornstarch
1/2 to 2/3 cup sugar (the amount will depend on sweetness or tartness of your apricots)
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup plus 2 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup buttermilk
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat the oven to 400 º.
- Mix together the first four ingredients. Place mixture in 9-inch deep dish pie pan and then place pie plate on a baking sheet. Bake until the fruit begins to release liquid, about 20 to 30 minutes.
- While the fruit bakes, whisk the flour, 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the buttermilk, melted butter, and vanilla.
- In a third bowl whisk together the remaining 2 teaspoons of sugar and the cinnamon. Set aside.
- Once the fruit filling has begun to release liquid, gently stir the buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture until the dough is just combined and there are no dry pockets.
- Remove the fruit filling from the oven and stir. Pinch the biscuit dough into 8 equal piece and place them on top of the hot filling, space evenly apart. Sprinkle the dough with the cinnamon sugar.
- Return the cobbler to the oven and bake until the filling is bubbling and the biscuits are golden brown on top and cooked through, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Let the cobbler cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes before serving.