2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion, diced
1 tablespoon tomato paste
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup vodka
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 lb of pasta (your choice, but classically this dish is served over penne)
Grated Parmesan cheese for serving
- Measure your vodka out in advance and set aside
- Heat the oil in a medium sized saucepan and add the onion and tomato paste. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are a light golden color around the edges, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and paper flakes. Cook until garlic is fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Stir in the tomatoes and salt. Remove the pan from the heat/flame and add the vodka. Return to stove and bring to a simmer for 8-10 minutes.
- Cook your pasta until al dente. Drain, but reserve some of the pasta water.
- Stir the cream into your sauce and cook until well mixed.
- Add the drained pasta to your sauce and cook for about 1-2 minutes. Add the reserved pasta water if sauce is too thick.
- Serve with grated Parmesan.