3 medium sized yellow squash
2 medium sized zucchinis
1 lb white mushrooms
cherry or large grape tomatoes
skewers enough for the above vegetables
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 onion, chopped
1 1/2 cups long grain rice, rinsed and drained
2 1/4 cups water
pepper to taste
- If you will be using wooden skewers begin soaking them, to prevent burning during the grilling process.
- Cut the squash and zucchini lengthwise and slice into large slices.
- Cut each mushroom in half.
- Skewer squash, zucchini, mushrooms, and whole tomatoes onto the skewers and set aside
- Start your fire.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan, add salt and onion. Cook until onion is softened, about 5 minutes
- Add the rice and cook until edges are translucent, about 3-5 minutes
- Add water, bring to a boil, cover and lower heat. Cook for 17 minutes or until all water is absorbed.
- Remove rice from heat and let sit for 10 minutes
- Place skewered vegetables on the grill and grill until cooked. There will be some charring of both the vegetables and the skewers.
- Serve warm and enjoy!