This recipe is adapted from The Joy of Cooking: All About Vegetarian Cooking
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons cumin seeds
1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 teaspoons curry powder
1 3/4 cups cooked chickpeas rinsed and drained (if using canned)
2 cups, 1/2 inch cubes peeled sweet potatoes
2 cups cauliflower florets
1 cup 1-inch green beans
1 cup vegetable broth
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 cup plain yogurt
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 tablespoon finely chopped fresh jalapeno pepper
2 tablespoons shredded coconut
- If you are going to serve rice with this dish start it now.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add cumin seeds and cook until sizzling.
- Add ginger and garlic and cook stirring, over medium heat for 1 minute. Do not brown.
- Add curry powder and cook for one minute until fragrant
- Stir in chickpeas, sweet potatoes, cauliflower, green beans, vegetable broth, salt and ground black pepper. Cover and cook over medium heat until the vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, stir together the yogurt and flour. Whisk until smooth. Set aside until vegetables are cooked to tender.
- Off the heat, add the yogurt mixture and jalapeno peppers
- In another skillet toast the coconut . Sprinkle over the vegetables as a garnish before serving over rice.