2 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
4 medium sized jalapeno peppers, seeded, and chopped
1/4 cup chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
2- 28 ounce cans diced tomatoes, drained
1/2 cup of the prepared sauce
1 4 oz can chopped green chilies
3 1/2 cups cheddar, Monterrey jack cheese mixture
10 to 12 white corn tortillas
1 additional cup of cheese for topping your finished product
- Move oven racks to middle position and preheat oven to 400º
- Heat the oil in a large skillet, add the onion, jalapeno peppers and garlic. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until the onions are translucent and just beginning to brown around the edges, about 7 minutes
- Stir in the chili powder, cumin and ground red pepper. Cook for one minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the two cans of drained tomatoes, cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Cool and thoroughly puree the mixture in a blender or food processor.
- In a medium bowl combine 1/2 cup of the sauce, 2 1/2 cups cheese and can of green chilies together.
- Pour 1/2 cup of sauce into the bottom of a 13x9 inch baking dish, top with layer of tortillas (breaking up tortillas to get into corners), top with layer of filling. Repeat layers, ending with a layer of sauce. Top with 1 cup of cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 10 minutes.