This recipe comes to you just in time for spring when asparagus should be plentiful in you local market. I am trying to get in a last few soup recipes before the weather turns hot. I love making and eating soups and this makes summer a most difficult time. I topped this soup with the asparagus tops and with roasted almond slivers.
1 pound fresh asparagus
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 shallots, minced
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
2 1/2 cups vegetable broth or water
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 cup milk
1/2 cup half and half
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 ounces almond slivers
salt and pepper to taste
- Cut off the tips of the asparagus and aside for the garnish. Slice the remaining asparagus into 1/2 inch slices.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the shallots and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the asparagus and cook for an additional one minute.
- Add the flour and stir until cooked in. Slowly add in the stock and lemon juice and stir until there are no lumps. Add salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil, have cover the pan, lower to a simmer and allow to simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the asparagus is very tender.
- Cool slight and then process the soup in a blender or food processor until smooth. Press the pureed soup through a sieve into a clean saucepan. Add the milk by pouring it through the sieve, so as to get the maximum amount of puree through the sieve.
- Warm the olive oil in a small skillet, add the asparagus tips and salt and pepper to taste. Cook until the tips are nicely roasted. Remove the asparagus from the skillet and add the almond slivers. Cook the almonds until well roasted.
- Top each serving of soup with some asparagus tips and some almond slivers.