For the sauce:
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 onion, finely chopped
2 (14-ounce) cans diced tomatoes (salt free)
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 (4-ounce) can sliced black olives
8 large pimento stuff green olives, sliced
2 tablespoons capers
For the filling:
4 cups broccoli florets
1 1/2 cups fresh dried bread crumbs
1 cup ricotta cheese
pinch of nutmeg
4 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
12 dried cannelloni tubes
2 tablespoons pine nuts
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and grease an oven proof 9x13 inch dish
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil, and add the pasta. Cook, stirring occasionally for 6-7 minutes.
- Meanwhile steam the broccoli for 10 minutes or until tender. Drain the pasta, rinse it in cold water and set aside. Drain the broccoli and let it cool, then place it in a food processor and process until smooth.
- Combine the pureed broccoli, ricotta cheese, bread crumbs, nutmeg and Parmesan cheese in large bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper, then set aside
- For the sauce, heat the oil in a large saucepan and add the onion and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes or until the onions are softened, then stir in the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, olives and capers. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes.
- Spoon the cheese mixture into a large ziploc bag, and cut off the tip of the bag so that you can use it to pipe the cheese mixture into your cannelloni.
- Place the cheese filled cannelloni into the prepared dish, top it with the sauce and the pine nuts.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until golden brown.