8 ounces tofu
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
1 lb white mushrooms, sliced
1 tablespoon soy sauce1/2 cup dry Italian flavored Panko breadcrumbs
Old Bay Seasoning
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
Romaine lettuce leaves
1 large ripe tomato, sliced
4 6-inch sandwich rolls
- Slice the tofu lengthwise into 3 pieces and place those pieces on several layers of paper towels. Top the tofu with several more layers of paper towels and place a large cutting board on top of that. Then place something heavy like a sauce pan or tea kettle to give the whole thing some weight.
- While your tofu is forcibly drained, warm 1 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over medium heat, and add the mushrooms. Saute the mushrooms until brown and then add the soy sauce. Place the mushrooms aside in a bowl.
- Your tofu should be dry by now. Cut the tofu into chunks and place them into a large Ziploc bag with the bread crumbs. Toss the two together until the tofu is completely coated with the breadcrumbs.
- Without cleaning out the skillet, warm 1 tablespoon of oil over medium-low heat. Place the breaded tofu in the skillet carefully. Allow it to brown on one side and then carefully turn the pieces to brown the other side. Once the tofu is brown according to your desire, add it to the mushrooms and add some Old Bay Seasoning to your taste.
- Split the rolls lengthwise and spread both sides with the mayo. Line the bottom with the lettuce and tomato. Then top with the tofu mushroom mixture.
Calories do not include the roll as the calories on this item would vary so wildly. For the filling only the calories are 253 calories, 18 grams of fat and 1 gram of fiber. This recipe serves 4.