2 teaspoons olive oil
1/4 cup chopped onion
2 medium cloves of garlic, minced
2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger root
1 cup natural peanut butter (the kind the comes separated)
1 tablespoon honey
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
juice of 1 lemon
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon low sodium soy sauce
3 cups water
Underneath the Sauce
1 block of extra firm tofu, drained, squeezed and cut into cubes
1 head of broccoli, chopped into bit size pieces
- Slice the block of tofu lengthwise into four pieces. Line a cookie sheet of a large cutting board with paper towels. Place the tofu on the paper towels and cover with more paper towels. Top this with another cookie sheet of large cutting board. Place a couple of heavy objects on top of the second cookie sheet/cutting board. Allow the tofu to drain.
- Meanwhile, place the broccoli into a microwave dish, add about a 1/4 cup of water and cook in high for 2-3 minutes or until the broccoli is properly steamed.
- Heat the oil over medium high heat in a large saucepan. Saute the onions until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger, cook for an additional 30 seconds. Slowly whisk in the peanut butter until it is smooth. Then add the honey, cayenne pepper, lemon juice, vinegar, salt and soy sauce. Mix until well incorporated, then slowly add in the water, whisking until the sauce is smooth. Bring to a simmer and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Once the tofu is drain and dried enough, cut it into bite size cubes. Saute the tofu in a dry skillet with a little bit of soy sauce until it is golden brown and just a little bit crispy. Once the tofu is the desired texture and color, turn off the stove, and add the steamed broccoli. Toss them quickly together, cover and set aside until the sauce is done.
- Place the tofu and broccoli over some rice, and top it with the sauce. Serve warm and enjoy.
This serves 8 people. Per serving (without the rice) 311 calories, 21 grams of fat. That is 1 cup of tofu and veggie with 1/2 cup sauce.