1 1/4 pounds yellow squash, chopped coarsely
1 small shallot, diced
1 cups crushed saltine crackers, about 30 crackers
1/2 teaspoons salt
2 large eggs
1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
1 tablespoon canola oil, divided
- Steam the squash and shallots until tender. I steamed mine in the microwave, you could use a steamer or do this on the stove top. Drain well. Mash the mixture with a fork, cover and refrigerate for at least three hours.
- Remove the squash mixture from the refrigerator and drain it through the mesh strainer to remove the excess liquid. Then add the crackers, sugar and eggs.
- Place the cornmeal into shallow dish. Divide the squash mixture into 12 equal portions, shaping each into 1/2 inch thick patty. Lightly spray each patty with cooking spray and dust with the cornmeal to lightly cover.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Working with four patties at a time, cook patties in the pan for about 90 seconds on each side or until golden brown. Remove from pan and place on paper towels.
- Repeat the process 2 more times with the remaining patties and the remaining 2 teaspoons of oil.
- Serve warm with ranch dressing for dipping. Enjoy!