I make this dip every year for the NCAA Men's Basket Ball Final Four. It is a tradition. Over the years I have tried many different additions to the refried beans to make them more flavorful. Honestly, Pace Picante Sauce is our number one choice. It has just the right amount of flavor, but does not make the beans or the guacamole too runny.
So, when Foodbuzz offered a free sample of Pace Picante Sauce to those involved in their Tastemaster Program, I jumped at the chance to show this recipe off. I did not even know at the time that when I posted this recipe I would be entered into a drawing for $500. I just wanted to brag about my recipe and I thank Foodbuzz and Pace for giving me that chance to do so!
2 cans of vegetarian refried beans
1 1/2 cups of Pace Picante Sauce (divided)
3 ripe avocados
1 teaspoon lemon juice
16 oz light sour cream
2 1/2 tablespoons taco seasoning
2 small cans sliced black olives, rinsed drained and patted dry
4 to 8 oz of shredded cheddar cheese
2 Roma tomatoes seeded, dice and patted dry
- Mix together the refried beans and 1 cup of the Pace Picante Sauce and set aside.
- Mash the avocados, then add the lemon juice and the remaining Pace Picante Sauce and set aside. If you are not putting your dip together for a while do this step just before you put together your dip. The lemon juice will help to keep the avocados from browning, but it is not guarantee.
- Blend the sour cream and taco seasoning together until there are no clumps of taco seasoning visible in the mixture.
- Spread the refried beans on the bottom of a swallow oblong or rectangular baking/serving dish. You can use an off-set spreader to insure that it is even. Top this layer with the guacamole you made with your avocado and Pace Picante Sauce. The guacamole is then covered with a the sour cream/taco seasoning layer. Again use a clean off-set spreader for both layers for a most even look. Cover the sour cream/taco seasoning layer with a generous layer of sliced black olives. Top that with the shredded cheese, follow by the diced tomatoes.
- Allow to chili for 30 minutes before serving. Serve with chips, just before the game starts!