This recipe is adapted from the Joy of Cooking: All About Vegetarian Cooking. I use my pizza crust recipe, but the filling is from their recipe 100%.
My Basic Pizza Dough (click for the link to the original)
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 large portobello mushrooms, thinly sliced
8 to 10 mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 red onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves
salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
4 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- Preheat your oven to 200°. Once the oven comes up to temp, turn it off. Prepare dough by combining in a large mixing bowl the warm water with 1 package (2 1/4 tsp) active dry yeast. Allow those to sit for about 3 minutes until well incorporated. The yeast will look a little frothy at this point. Add in your flours, salt, and oil. Mix together until raggedy looking. Turn dough out onto a well floured surface and knead the dough for 10 to 15 minuted or until the dough becomes smooth and elastic (see my photos from the original posting for the pizza). Allow dough to rise in a warm location for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Once your first rise if done, remove the dough for the oven. Punch you dough down and divide it into two balls. Place on a lightly floured work surface, sprinkle with flour and cover with plastic wrap or a damp dish towel. Let stand for 20 minutes. Place your oven racks in the lower middle position and preheat your oven to 450°.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat until it begins to shimmer. Add the mushrooms, onions, and garlic and saute them until they are tender. Let cook and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Shape your two balls of dough into two thick disks and let stand for about 5 minutes. Roll into a 10-inch round. Divide the filling between the rounds and sprinkle each one evenly with dried thyme and goat cheese. Fold each dough over, making a half circle, and tightly sealing the edges with your fingers.
- Reduce the oven temp to 400°. Place the calzones no a baking sheet and bake until nicely golden brown, about 30 to 35 minutes. Serve hot with some pizza sauce on the side.