This recipe is from Sandra Lee's Semi-Homemade show on the Food Network. I stumbled across this recipe while trying to recreate a strawberry cake the my husband's mom used to get him from a bakery.
1 (18.25 ounce) box of Strawberry cake mix
1 (11.5 ounce) can strawberry nectar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
Filling and Frosting:
1 pound of fresh strawberries, cleaned
1 cup strawberry jam, divided
1 (16 ounce) container strawberry frosting
- Preheat oven to 350° and spray to round cake pans with baking spray(you know, the kind with the built in flour). Combine cake mix, nectar, eggs, and oil in large bowl. Beat with a hand mixer for 2 minutes, or until well blended.
- Divide batter between prepared pans. Bake for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool cakes in pans on cooling racks for 20 minutes. Invert cakes onto cooling rack and cool completely.
- Thinly slice enough strawberries to yeild 1 1/4 cups.
- Using a thin cooking twine or dental floss, wrap floss or twine around the diameter of the cake, making certain that the placing of the floss is even. Then gently pull the floss through the cake until it cuts the cake in half. You can also use a serrated knife to cut your cake, but I like the floss method. Repeat this step with the other cake, making then four layers.
- Place 1 cake layer, cut side down, on a serving platter. Spread 1/3 cup of jam over the top of the layer, followed by a layer of 1/4 of strawberries. Top with second cake layer, cut side down. Repeat the layering with jam and sliced strawberries. Top with third cake layer, cut side down. Repeat laying with jam and sliced strawberries. Top with remaining cake layer, cut side down. Spread frosting evenly over top and sides of cake to coat completely.
- Arrance reamining strawberries atop cake.
- Refrigerate cake for 40 minutes. Slice and serve.