12 ounces tempeh, cut into 1/8 inch thick slices
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
8 slices rye bread
4 teaspoons dijon mustard
4 slices swiss cheese
1/2 cup sauerkraut
Thousand Island dressing (see note above)
- Place the tempeh slices into a saucepan of salted boiling water and simmer for 10 minutes. Drain and pat dry
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add 1/4 of the tempeh and cook until lightly browned on each side. Repeat this step until all the tempeh has been browned.
- Preheat an electric skillet while you brown the tempeh. Spray one side of each piece of bread with the cooking spray and spread the Dijon mustard on the other side of each slice of bead.
- Place one slice of bread (cooking spray side down)onto the prepared skillet, top this with tempeh, sauerkraut, once slice of cheese and the other slice of bread. Flip as needed and cook until the cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately and enjoy.