2 cups all purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder1/3 cup cold unsalted butter
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup 1% milk
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
Small onion, diced
3 carrots, peeled and diced
3 celery stalks, peeled and diced
2 medium sized baking potatoes, peeled and diced into bite sized pieces
1 1/2 cups frozen peas
1 cup vegetable broth
2 cups sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup 1% milk
1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- Preheat the oven to 350° and grease a round 8 qt baking dish.
- Prepare the topping by whisking together the flour, baking powder, salt and garlic powder. Using a pastry cutter or a pair of forks, incorporate in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Add the cheese and milk and stir gently until completely combines. Set aside in the refrigerator until needed.
- In a large skillet warm 1 tablespoon of oil over medium heat, add the onion, carrot and celery. Saute until the vegetables are becoming translucent. In another skillet warm the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil and saute the mushrooms until they are browned. Add the potato and frozen peas and continue to saute until the potatoes are beginning to cook. Add the broth and sauteed mushrooms and bring to a simmer. Cover and allow to simmer for 5-10 minutes or until the sauce begins to thicken just a little.
- In a large measuring cup combine the 1/2 cup of milk and 1 tablespoon of flour with a whisk. Slowly whisk the milk mixture into the vegetable mixture and bring back to a simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes or until the sauce is thickened.
- Pour the filling into the prepared baking dish and top with the biscuit dough. Bake for 30-35 minutes until the topping is golden brown and the sauce is bubbling hot.
Serves 8: 344 calories, 14 grams of fat, and 3 grams of fiber