1 large bunch (about 3 pounds) fresh collard greens, well rinsed
3/4 cup Vegetarian Gravy
1/2 cup cider vinegar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons hot sauce
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Strip the stems from the leaves of the greens. Roll handfuls of leaves as if rolling a cigar and cut into narrow strips, then chop the strips as needed into smaller pieces.
- Place greens into a large stockpot. Add enough water to cover the greens when the greens are forced down by hand to the bottom of your pot. Then add 3 cups of water.
- Place pot on the stove over medium high heat, stir in the remaining ingredients, and cover. Bring to a vigorous boil, stirring occasionally.
- Cook the greens for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, depending on the desired tenderness.
- Serve warm with some fresh cornbeard to soak up all that pot liquior!
Serves 12, 1-cup servings: 39 calories, 1 gram of fat and 3 gram of fiber