6 cups vegetable broth
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 pound portobello mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 pound white mushrooms, thinly sliced
2 shallots, diced
1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
1/2 cup dry white wine
kosher salt to taste
freshly ground pepper to taste
3 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup Parmesan cheese shredded
- In a saucepan, warm the broth over a low heat. Keep it warm and at arms reach.
- Cook the mushrooms in batches in a 12 inch skillet by warming 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil in the skillet over medium heat. Stir in 1/2 lb of mushrooms, and cook until soft, about 3-5 minutes. Remove the mushrooms and set aside with their liquids. Proceed the the remaining 1 1/2 pounds of mushrooms until all have been cooked.
- Wipe you skillet clean and add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil, and add the shallots. Cook for 1 minute. Add the rice, stirring to coat with oil, about 1 minute. When the rice has taken on a golden translucency, add the wine, stirring constantly until all the wine is fully absorbed.
- Add 1/2 cup of warm broth to the rice, stirring constantly until the broth is absorbed by the rice. Continue add in the broth 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly, until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is al dente, this should take about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, and stir in the butter until melted. Then add the mushrooms and Parmesan cheese and mix until combines. Season to taste with salt and pepper.