2 garlic cloves, minced
1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
1 teaspoon dried basil
salt to taste
1 pound ziti
2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Move oven rack to the middle position and preheat your oven to 400°. Prepare your ziti according to package instructions. Reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta cooking water for later.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat and add the garlic, cook until fragrant stirring often. Stir in the tomatoes with their juices and bring to a simmer. Allow to simmer for approximately 15 minutes or until slightly thickened. Add the basil and salt to taste.
- Drain your ziti, reserving 1/2 cup of pasta water and return it to the pot. Stir in the tomato and toss to coat. Add the reserved pasta water if need to achieve the desired consistency of the sauce and pasta.
- Spread half the ziti and sauce mixture into a greased baking dish (either 9x13 or 2 qt round will work). Sprinkle with half of the mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Spread the remaining ziti, sauce mixture in over that and top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake until the cheese turns golden brown, about 20 minutes. Let cook about 5-10 minutes before serving.