3 large russet potatoes (10 ounces each) peeled and cut lengthwise into 10 to 12 evenly sized wedges
5 tablespoons vegetable oil
salt and pepper
- Adjust oven rack to the lowest position(very important step which I forgot to do hence overly browned fries above) and heat the oven to 475°. Place the potatoes in a large bowl or you kitchen sink and cover with hot tap water. Allow to soak for 10 minutes for a nice gentle blanch. While the potatoes are soaking, coat a heavy duty baking dish with 4 tablespoons of oil. Sprinkle the oil with 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Drain the potatoes, spread them out over paper towels and dry them thoroughly. Toss the potatoes with the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil and arrange in a single layer on the baking dish. Over tightly with foil and bake for 5 minutes.
- Remove the foil and continue to bake until the sides of the potatoes touching the pan are crusty and golden, about 15 to 20 minutes, rotating the baking dish after 10 minutes.
- Using a metal spatula, flip the wedges over, keeping them in a single layer and continue baking for 10 to 15 minutes or until the fries are golden brown. Rotate the pan half way through to ensure that they brown evenly.
- Salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!