This recipe was adapted from What's Cooking Vegetarian by Jenny Stacey1 lb can garbonzo beans, drained
1 teaspoon yeast extract (like Marmite)
1 1/4 cups chopped walnuts
1 1/4 cups fresh white bread crumbs
1 1/4 cups sliced white mushrooms1 cup sliced baby bella mushroom
s1 3/4 cups canned corn, drained
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons dry sherry
2 tablespoons vegetable stock or broth
8 ounces prepared puff pastry
1 egg, beaten
2 tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 leek, thinly sliced
4 tablespoons dry sherry
2/3 cup vegetable stock or broth
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- Process the garbanzo beans, yeast extract, nuts, and bread crumbs in a food processor for 30 seconds.
- In a skillet saute the mushrooms in their own juices for 3-4 minutes. Stir in the garbanzo beans mixture, corn, and garlic. Add the sherry, stock/broth, and seasoning and bind mixture together. Remove the skillet from the heat and set aside to cool completely.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured counter to form a rectangle 14in by 12 in. Shaped the bean mixture into a loaf shape and wrap the pastry around it, sealing the edges. Place seam side down on a dampened cookie sheet and score the top in a criss-cross pattern. Mix the egg and milk together and brush over the pastry. Cook for 25 to 30 minutes until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil for the sauce in a pan and saute the leek for 5 minutes. Add the sherry and stock/broth and bring to a boil. Simmer for 5 minutes and serve with the roast.