This recipe is originally from The Joy of Cooking: All About Vegetarian Cooking by Rombauer, Becker and Becker. The original recipe calls for a bay leaf in the bouquet garni, but I substitued this for the celery leaves for a milder flavor.
1 Medium onion, sliced
1 leek, white part only, cleaned thoroughly and sliced
1 carrot, peeled and sliced
1 small turnip, peeled and sliced
6 cloves of garlic, peeled and smashed
6 cups cold water
1 bouquet garni containing:
small bunch of parsley
8 sprigs of fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried
2 or 3 celery leaves
- Create your bouquet garni: bundle together the above herbs/leaves and wrap in a 4x4 square of cheesecloth. Tie the cheesecloth secruly with a piece of kitchen string. Refrigerate in a tighly converd container until ready to use.
- Combine the above ingredients in a large stockpot
- Simmer gently, partially covered, until the vegetables are completely softened about 45 to 60 minutes
- Strain into a clean pot or heatproof plastic containter, pressing down on the vegetables to extract the juices.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Let cool uncovered, then refrigerate until ready to use.